this will be my first blog entry in english. The days until Monday I have caught up with Gülnar about how things have been, looked at some old pictures and got to know her favorite places of the city. On Tuesday the bayram was over and Gülnar had to go to work again. So I took the night bus from Baku to Zaqatala, 8h in an old Mercedes bus. I reached Zaqatala at 4:30 in the morning and there was a taxi which took me to Gülnar's mom's house. After a cup of Cay and a few words in turkish I layed down and didn't wake up until 12 the next morning. Later I got picked up by the neighbour, he spoke a very clear turkish and took me around town in an Lada Niva.
Zaqatala is a small town, has a nice park, a Stadium (their soccer club is at the moment second in the League) some small shops. The total opposite of Baku, instead of AMG Mercedes old Lada and Wolgas were the dominant cars, small family shops instead of Boss and Gucci. After having completed our little tour, I met Gülnar's aunt and Grandma. My best friend was at all time my yellow sözlük (dicitionary) which helped a lot explaining what I want and what my family does etc.
The next day friends took me to Seki, one of the oldest towns Azerbaijan's. The friends were 2 women, to whom I haven't really had the chance to talk to, 3 girls in their teens and a first grader. Of course turkish would be the language of choice, but I know now how a foreigner must feel somewhere in the Allgäu. After an 1,5 hour drive in an even older than the first Mercedes bus we reached Seki. Good deal there is no TÜV here;) Otherwise a lot of old still decent cars would have been send to the scrap yard. Those things probably use a lot of gas but that doesn't matter because gas just costs 55 qn the liter (about 50 Euro cent). Having reached Seki we waited on another car. An old Uaz (sovjet Jeep - link: have a look at the 469 model) took the kids and me, the two women got into another car. I found out later that they weren't coming with us to see the sights. So there it was, the kids and me and now two older boys (18 and 20) one of them was our driver. They boys drove us to the Xan Sarayi, which is an old palace nicely decorated and with colourful windows completly hold togethere by wood. Of course there was a guide, she prolly spoke Russian and Azeri. So the kids tried to explain everything in Turkish. A lot of fun;) I used the phrase "anlamadim" (I didn't understand) quite often. But hand and feed help so I stil got, considering the circumstances, a lot of things and even ask questions! But I would have been probably lost without my 3 weeks of language school. Afterwards we had a a look and a small museum and an old Caravan house, which now serves as a hotel. Very cool!
Since the culture part was over, we hit the roads with our Uaz. Those cars don't need paved roads those need paths or roads at all. 20 minutes on trails, one river and a gate later we reached a steep path which we walked up. The possible destination was never found, so we went back. Passing by a lot of smallswedish style bungalows. The weather was chilly and there was a lot of fog so I couldn't really see the complete beauty of the nature! One thing is for sure, the next time I will visit Azerbaijan will be in summer. Our tour got to an end at the main square of the city. There was already a table in a little cabin inside a restaurant set for us. We had our own samowar ("Cay fountain") and I ate Piti, a soup which grandmas would say, make strong. Exaclty the right thing for that weather. Afterwards the kids brought me to the Busstation and made sure I got on the right bus and that the driver was informed where I have to get of. Shortly afterwards I was on the way back to Zaqatala. We drove all the time on old tree covered road. Everyonce in awhile a sheperds or some cows used the roads with us. In the evening we had tea at the neighbours' and I played some nard a version of Backgammon.
The complete family gathered.
I spent my last day with the neighbours' brother who also lives next door. He works at a Teleferik in Balaken a city right next to the georgian border. In the evening I was invited to Gülnar's aunt again and I got to eat stuffed wine leaves and other specialities. I ate so much that I had to get some medicine to survive the night bus ride back to Baku. I got some more sleep at the apartment before I visited the culture museum. That was very interesting. I learned a little about the culture and history and current issues of this to me very unknown country.
The next days I will be in Baku before my plane leaves on sunday evening...
![]() |
| Baku - Zaqatala |

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen